A Healthy Recipe to Keep Your New Year’s Resolutions On Track
Loaded Green Salad
Choice of greens (romaine, butter leaf, red leaf, green leaf lettuces, spinach, kale, arugula, etc.)
½ cup shredded or chopped carrots
¼ chopped red onion
1-2 chopped banana, red, yellow or orange peppers
¼ chopped cucumber
¼ chopped avocado
¼ cup crumbled goat cheese or feta
¼ cup raw pumpkin seeds
1 tablespoon raw hemp seeds
- 1. Wash, chop or tear and combine your choice of greens. Add your choice of the above ingredients.
- 2. Toss and coat with basic vinaigrette salad dressing (visit BakersfieldLifestyle.com for the recipe) or a clean dressing of your choice. Watch the ingredients in store-bought dressings—there is usually nothing “natural” about them.
Roasted Ginger Salmon
4 6-ounce wild salmon filets
½ cup freshly squeezed orange juice
2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lime juice
2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
Zest of 1 orange and 1 lemon
1 tablespoon ghee, organic butter or coconut oil
Pinch of cayenne pepper (optional)
Sea salt and pepper
1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
½ teaspoon finely minced fresh ginger or ¼ teaspoon dried ginger
- 1. Either blend or whisk together in a bowl the orange, lime and lemon juices and zest, oil, ginger and cayenne.
- 2. Place salmon in a baking dish skin side down and season with sea salt and pepper. Cover the salmon with half of the marinade; coat well.
- 3. Cover the dish and marinate for 20 minutes or longer.
- 4. Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Put 2 tablespoons of water in baking dish and bake for 10-15 min, until just tender. Do not overcook.