Dwight Yoakam and the Bakersfield Beat Channel Launches on SiriusXM
If the Bakersfield Sound is in your genes, satellite radio’s SiriusXM has brought it to life. Grammy Award winner and country music icon Dwight Yoakam has launched his very own SiriusXM channel, Dwight Yoakam and The Bakersfield Beat, on Channel 349. The channel features music from Yoakam’s extensive career as well as his musical friends. Yoakam celebrates the Bakersfield sound and those whom it has inspired including Buck Owens, Merle Haggard, Wynn Stewart, Tommy Collins, The Byrds, The Flying Burrito Brothers, The Eagles, The Blasters, Lucinda Williams and more. The channel encompasses all that is California country and country rock, in all of its various and varietal forms, from Ricky Nelson to Emmylou Harris and Linda Ronstadt and includes artists from the LA music scene in the early to middle ’80s that Yoakam broke out of, and features bands as diverse as X, Lone Justice and Los Lobos.
Thrillist Says Nuestro Mexico Has Best Tacos in California
Thrillist named Bakersfield’s Nuestro Mexico the taco king of California. The city takes its licks for its oil derrick-dotted landscape, but foodies have discovered a true gem in Bakersfield. Thrillist’s Matt Meltzer, who’s traveled the entire state, said he hasn’t tasted a better taco than the smoky, grilled, meat-stuffed variety at Nuestro Mexico. Opened in late 2014, the family-run restaurant packs about three street-tacos’ worth of steak into a single carne asada taco, but it’s not just the quantity of meat that makes it so great. It’s marinated in a blend of authentic Mexican spices that perfectly complements the fresh grilled flavor. To the owner’s delight, you’ll never leave Nuestro Mexico hungry, and should you happen to find yourself in the Capital of the Bakersfield Sound, you’ll be rewarded by how well they do tacos better than anyone else in the “taco-est” state in America.
716 21st St., Bakersfield, California, 661.637.1343
13 Things You Didn’t Know about Kern County/Bakersfield
· Kern County is the No.1 agricultural producing region is the U.S. and provides 73 percent of the state’s agricultural production.
· 20 percent of all jobs in the area are related to agriculture production.
· Agricultural production generates 337,000 jobs and $33 billion in annual revenue.
· 55 percent of the nation’s grapes are produced in the Bakersfield/Kern region.
· The Central Valley in and around Bakersfield produces 35 percent of the nation’s citrus.
· 62 percent of the US carrot supply is produced here, largely by the Bakersfield-based Grimmway Company.
· More than 80 percent of world’s supply of almonds originate in Bakersfield’s surrounding Kern County.
· Kern County and the Bakersfield oil fields are the No. 2 oil- and gas-producing producing regions in the US.
· 78 percent of the nation’s active oil wells are situated in Kern County.
· Kern County produces 367,000 barrels of oil per day and in excess of 134 million barrels annually.
· $1 million of oil and gas output produces a total of 5.8 jobs.
· 72 percent of California’s oil and 70 percent of California’s natural gas are produced here.
· 10 percent of Bakersfield’s residents are directly employed by the oil and gas industry.